Monday, October 25, 2010

Grandma Mary

My Grandma Mary is very special to me. She is a lovely lady and I love her dearly. I remember her being a good grandma while growing up, but our relationship really changed when I went to college. That's when she became a wonderful friend.

Grandma is great one on one, but I can't really remember her being good at hosting her entire family. I think it stressed her out.

During college Grandma was a stable supporter of my endeavors. I could call her at midnight while studying or if I was struggling with something. She would be awake and ready to talk. She was available to listen and help in anyway she could. That's one thing I love so much about her, she makes herself available.

She was also a huge financially support to me. Her generosity really softened my heart and made me want to give back to her in ways that blessed her. I look back with such fondness at the ways she helped take care of me. I thank the Lord for how he used her to show his hand of provision.

Grandma always filled my car up with gas on my way back to Lincoln, then later when I moved to Manhattan, and finally Colorado. I could make that tank of gas stretch for weeks. I had a knack for putting in just enough gas to get home from college. Driving in on fumes before I stopped to see her and got that tank filled again:)

Another tradition I remember with great fondness is back to school shopping. She would plan a trip to Norfolk to her chiropractor or eye doctor. If I took her to her appointment we would end up at the Mall where she needed some "hose." Her hose would cost her $10 and my jeans, shoes, shirts, and underwear another $200. She was so generous at a time when $200 seemed like a fortune.

I have fond memories of her supplying other needs too. During my early years at UN-L, I was foolish with my parking and got a couple of tickets. I didn't have the money to pay for them. I decided I would give plasma. My Mom and Grandma wanted nothing to do with that so they both sent money to bail me out.

Grandma loves to give when she sees a need. She got tired of Aric and I doing dishes by hand in Manhattan and a dish washer was purchased and sent to our house! She felt our time could be spent better else where other than doing dishes. I can not count the number of people that dishwasher blessed!

When she came out to visit me in Colorado (that was a special trip, that I will share about later) she saw that I had no table and helped me purchase a beautiful oak table that I will treasure for many years. 3 of our home furnishings are hand me downs from our Grandma's. A couch and chair from Grandma Mary and a couch from Grandma Helen.

I have too many special memories to write about in one blog. But I will continue again about our Cruise and Colorado trips later.

I will finish by saying that words can't express how much I love my Grandma. I am saddened that her mind is giving away and changing the way she lives. I miss her old self and her dementia makes me sad... but at least I have been blessed with such a fabulous Grandma. One that I will always be thankful for no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment